Class 6A - Division II - UIL Texas State Championship - The Summer Creek Bulldogs!
Class 6A – Division II – UIL Texas State Championship – The Summer Creek Bulldogs!
Humble ISD Twitter

Summer Creek Bulldogs Make Humble ISD History!

Class 6A Division II – UIL Texas State Championships, 2023 – Silver Medalist

Football for Humble ISD and our Region III was exciting this year. We had four teams make the playoffs with Atascocita, C.E. King, North Shore, and Summer Creek High Schools. Each of these teams had terrific seasons with a talented group of athletes and coaches that put in the hard work daily to have our Region well represented in Texas Class 6A football. 

KP Kelly (TX High School Football)

Humble ISD had two teams advance with Atascocita and Summer Creek High School winning playoff games. Summer Creek High School made their first appearance at the State Championships, playing at AT&T stadium against arguably the best team in the State this year, the DeSoto Eagles. The Eagles (no. 5 nationally ranked) had an undefeated season, winning games by an average of 34 points and beating Duncanville in the regular season which put them on top of the rankings going into the game against Summer Creek. Duncanville beat North Shore (49-33) earlier that evening in the Class 6A Division I – State championship game. 

Greg Powers (Dave Campbell’s Texas Football)

Size and experience played a big part in the DeSoto Eagles defeating the Summer Creek Bulldogs with a 74-14 record-breaking score in UIL history. The DeSoto Eagles came with experience with their third time to the state championship and back-to-back wins for this talented group of Eagles. The Eagles dominated early, scoring in the game’s first minutes on their first drive with a 54-yard TD run by Marvin Duffey. Drive after drive, Bailey to Singleton continued that momentum with well-orchestrated plays for three additional touchdown passes in the first quarter. The Eagle’s offense executed five TDs in the game’s first minutes.

“Summer Creek wide receiver Tre Brown (10) catches a pass during the second half of the 6A Division II UIL state championship game at AT&T Stadium, Saturday, Dec. 16, 2023, in Arlington.
Jason Fochtman/Staff photographer”

Summer Creek did get a successful drive after the defense caused a turnover with a rushing TD by Lloyd Avant in the first quarter. Lloyd Avant had another TD in the fourth quarter for the Bulldogs. Thomas, a young QB, had a few drives and got an offense going in the second quarter for a few yards. The Eagle’s defense quickly stifled this momentum with the QB sack and the Bulldogs’ pushback to punt again. This gameplay became a familiar story for the Bulldogs throughout the evening. The Eagle’s defense held the Bulldogs to minimal yards for a team that has dominated throughout the season and in the playoff run to get this point at State. You would think this would be defeating for this young team at half-time, but it was not. Summer Creek’s defense had some well-executed plays in the second half, holding the DeSoto Eagles offensive back several times, causing that score not to be higher than it already was

Humble ISD Twitter

It was great to see and feel the Bulldog spirit in the stands and on the field till the end of the game. This group of young men held their own and played with tremendous grit and heart for a great group of supporters from the Humble ISD family that joined them from East Houston in the stands. Another notable game highlight was a fun 25-yard field goal kick by the Summer Creek varsity soccer team captain, Sohana Spencer. The Summer Creek band, cheerleaders, and Starlettes did not disappoint, putting on a great half-time show for the fans.

This year’s football highlights for all of the Humble ISD teams in our Region were record-breaking. Atascocita, Summer Creek, Kingwood and Humble High School will return with a strong presence and a stacked roster of players and talent in the Fall 2024. I have enjoyed my newfound love for writing and watching these teams this year and have a greater appreciation for the game played and the hard work each of these players and programs put in daily. 

Humble ISD Twitter