Kingwood Mustangs Football Season 2020-2021

Kingwood+Mustangs+at+all+levels+are+ready+to+tackle+the+new+season.+

Photo Cred: Kingwood Football Twitter

Kingwood Mustangs at all levels are ready to tackle the new season.

Football season is on the horizon as all the fall sports’ seasons begin over the next few weeks. Our first set of games will be an away game against Angleton on Thursday, September 17th. I hope everyone is looking forward to the start of a great football season. Even through all the confusion and adversity, the football team has still put in the work to prepare for the season.

Here is Coach Melton’s message on this year’s schedule and the start of the season.

What do you think about our Schedule?  It looks like we are playing some tough teams this year towards the end with Atascocita, North Shore and Summer Creek?

I think it is a tough schedule and our pre-season will prepare us well for our district games. Every game in the district will be a battle and we will be prepared mentally and physically to compete at a high level.

— Coach Melton

What do you want to say to the mustangs as we start the season off in one month? We are competing in 21-AAAAAA which is arguably the toughest district in the state.

The Mustangs have been working hard and preparing themselves to become CHAMPIONS. Through our Core Values of Commitment, Enthusiasm, Mental and Physical Toughness, Teamwork, Integrity, and Tradition we will #RiseAsOne and create a culture that can’t be defeated. We here at Kingwood High School are proud of this football team and this Athletic Program. Kingwood High is one of the top high schools in the state academically and athletically because of the administrative, parental and community involvement, along with our exemplary student-athletes. Our players, coaches, and trainers greatly appreciate your loyal support. Go Mustangs! #SFAW #RiseAsOne

— Coach Melton

It is also great to see all the new coaches and the alignments to take our team to the next level? 

Yes, we have a great staff and they are excited about being here and ready to take the Mustangs to another level.

— Coach Melton

Athletic Coordinator & Head Football  – Coach
Cale Melton

Asst. Head Coach/IB’s – Ronnie Melton

Defensive Coordinator/Safeties – Stephen Byrd

Offensive Coordinator/QB’s   – Morgan Stringer

Cornerbacks – Lance Bernard

Running Backs – Kyle Ivy

Offensive Line – Joe Ogden

Offensive Line – Jared Burt

Defensive Line – Will Sells

Defensive Line – Miguel Carlos

Inside Receivers – Stacy Williams

Wide Receivers – Shellie Dick

H-Back/Tightends – Tyler Miller

Outside Linebackers – Kyle Griffin

Check out this link to the KHS Football 2020 Schedule for all teams from Varsity to Freshman.

I took some time to ask some of our players from different levels on how they are feeling about the new season.

KHS Football is part of a new district with a new leader. The players can feel his energy in the air. He’s happy to be there and you can sense that he wants to be there with us every day. Coach Melton and the coaching staff demand excellence but if we make a mistake they jump in with guidance to ensure that we learn in each situation. Coach Melton talks extensively about the importance of being good guys on and off the field. He is a positive role model that wants us to be successful football players and men. I am ready to continue learning from the coaches over the next three years

— Zach Sunosky - Junior Varsity

I feel great. I feel like we have an amazing shot to achieve greatness this year. The new coaching staff could not have executed the offseason better. Their enthusiasm tremendously helps drive the teams motivation.

— Blake Mears- Varsity Senior

The first home game of the season will be held Saturday, September 26th against Cy-Woods at Turner Stadium and will be our Senior Night for KHS. I hope everyone is excited for all the upcoming sporting events for Kingwood High School. Be on the lookout for information about the other Fall sports. Go Mustangs, even with limited seating and social distancing lets get ready for a strong year!

Don’t forget to check us out on Texan Live through the season and our latest update on Texan Live Twitter!