Fresh Faces of Kingwood High School Athletics Chapter 1 – KHS Cross Country

“KHS girls XC team bringing home some hardware from Round Rock and took 3rd place overall as a team at the UIL 6A State Cross Country Meet on Friday, November 4, 2022 with a team average time of 19:19.5!” Photo Credit: Kingwood Cross Country Twitter

Clara Dye was another one of our fresh faces of Kingwood Athletics featured in our series following some of our Class of 2026 athletes in their first year of high school sports. I had the opportunity to interview Clara Dye over the break and talk to her about her first year of running for Kingwood High School as a freshman on the varsity cross country team. Clara ended the season #4 at districts, #11 at region and #32 overall at state (3rd as a freshman) helping her team take 3rd place overall as a team at the UIL 6A  state of Texas Cross Country meet. Clara also ended her freshman season being honored with All-State honors and 2nd Team All-Greater Houston.

Congrats to Carly Ahrens, Jenna Carter and Clara Dye (left to right) for All-State Honors!
Photo Credit: Kingwood Cross Country Twitter

Clara, who was a poised runner this year as a freshman, had some great responses and encouraging words for future mustangs looking at cross country at KHS. We asked Clara a series of questions to reflect on below:

Clara, You have had a great season for KHS cross country behind you as a freshman who had the opportunity to run on Varsity this year taking it all the way to state. What was that like for you and did the experience of running for high school and heading to state hold up to your expectations?

“I was so grateful for the opportunity to run on varsity this year and it really helped me improve running against challenging teams and I really didn’t expect to run at State going into high school but as the season went on it was my one motivation to keep working.” – Clara Dye

What are your plans in the off-season to train for the fall of next year?  Where do you see yourself  in the upcoming year of 2023 for cross country as a state contender again?

“In the Spring I plan to run track and continue training and for the 2023 season of cross country. I am hoping to place even better at State and focus more on Nike Regionals.” – Clara Dye

If you had one take away for other athletes coming up behind you at the middle school, what would you say to them on sticking with running and getting ready for KHS cross country or track as their future?

“For the younger generations below me, I would say find the motivation to work hard everyday because it can really pay off and open up great opportunities.” – Clara Dye

Our plan is to follow Clara Dye on her journey over the next four years as she represents Kingwood High School Cross Country for the Class of 2026.