KHS Swim Team Year in Review

Julia Westwood, Swim Staff Writer

Congrats to our JV and Varsity Swim & Dive Teams on an amazing 2018-2019 season! Both teams earned the District Championship title again, with the varsity swimmers capturing the Region 21 title, as well.

The boys varsity team went undefeated, while the girls fell short only to The Woodlands. Both Boys and Girls advanced to the 6A State Meet in Austin. Boys had swimmers qualify in all individual events along with all relays. The girls qualified in most events, and had entries in all relays. Overall, the boys placed 3rd and Girls placed 5th among Texas 6A programs. The Mustangs had four swimmers who made the podium: Victor Tremblay in the 200 Free; Jacob Bass in the 200 IM and 100 Breastroke;  Abigail Ahrens in the 100 backstroke; and the boys 200 medley relay which was comprised of seniors Jordan Anderson, Jacob Bass, Zach Cantrell and Caleb Doehring.

The swimmers also broke seven school records this season, five of which were freshman records: Freshman Garret Green broke the 100 backstroke; Kylee Grafmiller broke the 500 Free; Luke Beals, Garret Green, Connor Little and Tyler Surratt broke the 400 free relay. These freshman boys also broke the 200 medley relay. Freshman girls Alexis Newman, Megan Lopez, Riley Goebel, and Kylee Grafmiller broke the girls 400 Free relay. Upperclassmen record breakers include:  Jacob Bass in the men’s 100 breastroke; and Jordan Anderson, Jacob Bass, Zach Cantrell and Caleb Doehring in the 200 Medley relay.

Most importantly, our team had 11 Academic All State, and 10 Academic All American scholars. Our Academic All State swimmers are: Emily Baggett, Jacob Bass, Zach Cantrell, Angela Duplantis, Sophie Ebert, Nick El-Takach, Sydney Goodman, Oliver Murray, Matthew Newman, Owen Pickering and Temple Trapp. Our Academic All Americans are: Jordan Anderson, Jacob Bass, Zach Cantrell, Angela Duplantis, Mary Durkee, Nick El-Takach, Sydney Goodman, Oliver Murray, Matthew Newman and Temple Trapp. Both the boys and girls teams earned the NISCA Scholar Team Award at the Gold Level which honors those high school teams with the highest collective grade point averages.