Gymnastics’ Championship Season

Grace Matherne, Gymnastics Staff Writer

The Kingwood High School gymnastics team competed at eight meets this year, ranging from compulsory to optional throughout the season. They started off their year with the Humble ISD Floating Cup compulsory meet in November. The Kingwood Gymnastics team has been reigning champions of this meet for over ten years. They beat out Atascocita, Summer Creek, and Kingwood Park and kept the trophy for another year. The next meet that the team attended was at Bryan Rudder High School and was also a compulsory meet. The boys ended up getting first, while the girls placed fifth as a team. Their last strictly compulsory meet of the season was the Humble Invitational, hosted by Kingwood High School. The girls placed second as a team behind Atascocita and boys placed first.

The team started their optional season on February 1st at the Round Rock Invitational. The meet had just Round Rock’s gymnastics team along with our own Humble ISD gymnastics teams. Both the boys and the girls placed second as teams, both behind Round Rock. Their next meet was possibly one of the most exciting meets of their season. Kingwood Klassic is an optional meet that showcases the abilities of the team. To quote Abby Morgan, one of our sophomores, Kingwood Klassic is “like a college meet” and as to the energy, is always “super hype.” Many students every year come during lunch, and even during classes, to watch their fellow classmates show off their skills and compete. It is a big fundraiser for the Kingwood High School gymnastics team and it generates the money they use to travel to meets for the rest of their season.

The boys ended up with second place behind Saginaw, and girls ended up with fifth place as a team. On March 1st, the team then traveled to Bryan, Texas again for the Rudder Invitational. Girls and boys team improved their scores as girls placed third and boys placed second. Kingwood then competed at their Districts meet hosted by Atascocita High School. This meet was the start of the KHS gymnastics championship season. Both boys and girls won as teams and continued their reign as district champions and both qualified for their regional meet. At Regionals, the team competes compulsory on the first day and optional on the second day. The first day or the compulsory day, boys placed first and girls placed fourth. Then on optional day, the boys placed second and girls placed fifth. For Regional meets though, qualifying depends on the sum of both days’ scores. The girls overall placed fourth all around and boys placed second. This means that the boys qualified for state but the girls had to find other ways to qualify as an individual. The only girl that actually qualified from Kingwood is Brianna Alsupcarper, who is extremely excited about making state. State is just like Regionals in that there are two competition days and the scores will add up to determine the winner at the end of both days. The Kingwood High School gymnastics team competed state on the 26th and 27th of April. The meet was at Bryan Rudder once again, and they could not wait to compete. The boys did fantastic and were third in the state by the end of the first day. They ended up fourth as a team by optional day, and were behind the third place team by just a measly 0.35 points. Brianna Alsupcarper also did very well both days but did not place because it was just her, not a full team.

The team is overwhelmingly proud of their accomplishments at state and some of their teammates even drove up to see the competition. It has been an amazing year filled with much success for the gymnastics team and we hope to see the streak continue and see them do even better next season.