A Roaring Start From KHS Tennis

KHS Varsity Tennis Team 2022-2023

Janak Krishnan, Editor-In-Chief, Sports Writer

As Autumn begins to rise, the first month of the KHS tennis fall season has been met with great success and hard fought wins. Starting their season on August 5th, they have played 13 tournaments with a triumphant 10-3 W/L against top rated schools in region 3 and even state. Two of their most noticeable wins were defeating rivals Deer Park quite convincingly (17-2) and Clear Springs in a nerve racking 10-9 victory. These wins combined with hard fought losses against two schools ranked top 10 in state, earned Kingwood a spot in the top 20 (in state) and very close to top 5 in region. Additionally, their success doesn’t stop there, but on this previous Friday, they played their second district match against North Shore with a dominant 19-0 sweep, making them undefeated in district.

The tennis team continues to work hard with high aspirations this year. They plan to place first in districts to continue into the playoffs to hopefully reach the region semi-finals. After speaking with Kevin McElroy, head coach, about what he is planning to do to elevate KHS tennis to the next level, he replies with a rather heartfelt message, “It’s nothing I do…it’s the team that buys into the process. It’s the ones that come to practice everyday…who understand that focus and intensity are the key ingredients for success … when we all come with that mindset and the desire to give it 110% we accomplish so much more as a team.”

With that being said, I have high expectations for this team and I am positive that they will obtain their goal and make the mustang family proud.

Head Coach Kevin McElroy and Sophomore Jashan Chahal