Kingwood Swim and Dive Closing out the Season…

Tanner Monk, Swim Staff Writer

Kingwood swimming started off February with an amazing start by winning Region for the second year in a row, and qualifying for state because of their great performance. There were many amazing swims at Region, including Ava Casperson who got the new freshman record in the 50 free. We also had many region champions including Kaitlyn Surratt (200 free) , Meredith Fagen (200 IM), and Alexis Newman (100 fly/100 back). Furthermore, Madison Lloyd, Meredith Fagen, Alexis Newman, Ava Casperson earned Automatic All-American by winning the Medley relay, and Kaitlyn Surratt, Riley Goebel, Kylee Grafmiller, Alexis earned A-A consideration by winning the 400 free relay. The Boys 400 free relay smashed our school record and automatic All-American time (3:01.16) that had stood the test of time since ‘94! Congrats Brendan Studdert, Beck Parham, Connor Little & Garret Green! All of these great swims at Region qualified both the boys and girls for state where they would try to win for the second year in a row. The boys started off state great with Luke Beals, Brendan Studdert, Garret Green, & Luke Langley getting 2nd in the medley relay and smashing the school record. The amazing swims continued with Connor Little getting 4th in the 100 free, Brendan Studdert (6th in 200 IM),  Beck Parnham (8th in 200 IM and 5th in 500 free), Tyler Surratt (8th in 500 free), Connor Little, Luke Beals, Luke Langley, and Eddie Jin getting 3rd in the 200 free relay, and Garret Green, getting 3rd and a new school record in the 100 back. The boys also had some state champions, including Garret Green who won the 100 fly with a new school record, and Brendan Studdert, Beck Parnham, Connor Little, & Garret Green who won the 400 free relay with a time of 3:00.34. The boys swam a great meet, but lost a tough battle to the Woodlands and got 2nd by only 2 points. The boys had a great meet, and should be very proud of their performance. The girls had state the next week, and they continued the great swims. Madison Lloyd, Meredith Fagen, Alexis Newman, & Ava Casperson started the meet off by getting 3rd in the medley relay. The girls continued swimming well with Alexis Newman winning the 100 backstroke, Madison Lloyd getting 4th in the 100 back, and the 400 free relay of Ava Casperson, Madison Lloyd, Kylee Grafmiller & Alexis Newman finishing in 6th. The girls had a great last meet, and finished the season with a 7th place finish at state. The boys and girls both had an amazing season, and finished it with a great state meet. All of the swimmers should be proud of how they performed, and know that we are all proud of them. 

Kingwood High Boys Swim Team finishes 2nd, and the Girls finish 7th at the State Meet!