Kingwood Band Takes on Concert Season

Wind+Ensemble+poses+together+for+their+annual+formal+group+picture.+

Heather Newsom

Wind Ensemble poses together for their annual formal group picture.

Emily Moore, Co-Editor-in-Chief

A full concert on-stage was not imaginable for the Kingwood High School band several months ago. However, after much hard work and determination, the bands took the stage at Kingwood First Baptist Church in the last week of January.   

The band prepared for the concert during school and in after school rehearsals, with some students tapping in on Zoom. They have worked hard to provide opportunities for virtual students to continue making music together. A Zoom option was even available for the concert, and the concert was live streamed on Facebook Live for friends and family members to watch from home

So far, concert season has been filled primarily with dedicated rehearsals and solo and ensemble prep. Many musicians also earned spots in the region bands, including nine freshmen in the freshman region band. Two band students were named to the TMEA All-State Band, the most prestigious group for high school musicians in the state of Texas. Senior flute player Morgan Sheppard and junior bassoon player Brendon Young were two of only three students who made All-State in the entire Humble Independent School District.  

The jazz band and drumline performed at Night to Shine on February 12, which was adjusted to be a drive-through event this year. 

Another event for some students was the pep rally.  Though it was just a junior-senior pep rally in the interest of a safer environment with more space, the drumline and senior students performed at the event. 

Now, the main focus of the band is on solo and ensemble. The contest is all at the high school this year and will take place in the last week of February.