Winning Streak…

“The girls celebrate a point against Summer Creek. Photo Courtesy of Garrett Smith”

Sawyer Bryce, Volleyball Staff Writer

The Kingwood Varsity Volleyball team just celebrated three huge wins for their season. On Saturday the 17th, Kingwood beat the Woodlands Highlanders in a non-district game in 4 sets. This constitutes the first time since 2011 since Kingwood Volleyball has won against the Woodlands and the first time in 19 years of coaching that Head Coach Christie Mewis has secured a win over the Highlanders. The scores were as follows: 21-25 Woodlands, 26-24 Kingwood, 25-22 Kingwood, and 25-19 Kingwood. Megan Wilson, senior, and Sophie Ocampo, junior, led the team with 19 and 17 kills respectively, Katelyn Tillis, senior, had 18 digs, and Jordan Rambo, senior, led the team in assists with 26. This huge win for the Lady Mustangs was followed by major success in their district games.

On the following Tuesday, Kingwood played Summer Creek High School at home and again won in 4 sets, the scores as follows: 25-12, 18-25, 25-19, and 25-7. Captains Megan Wilson and Jordan Rambo had 20 kills and 30 assists respectively. This win wrapped up the first round of districts for Kingwood Volleyball with a 5-1 record. 

Beginning the next round of districts, the lady mustangs faced Kingwood rival Atascocita high school in an away game at AHS. Consistent with the trend, Kingwood won in 4 sets. The first set concluded 25-16 Kingwood, the second 25-15, the third 22-25, and the final set ended 25-18 giving the Varsity team a win in their first game of round two. Katelyn Tillis led with 20 digs, and Sydney Hicks, junior, had 28 assists. Following a three set sweep by the Atascocita Varsity team in round 1, the win over Atascocita in round 2 coupled with the win against Summer Creek currently ranks Kingwood in first place for district play. The final determination for the district championship will most likely come down to the round 2 Summer Creek-Kingwood matchup. With three more wins and an overall 12-2 record, Kingwood Volleyball is ranked 37th in Texas for 6A teams, according to MaxPreps. 

Throughout the state, school volleyball teams are facing quarantines due to Covid-19 exposure. With many teams postponing their games, the Kingwood Varsity Volleyball schedule has been altered slightly to accommodate. However, our Lady Mustangs are staying safe and distanced to preserve the rest of their season without a Corona breakout. The girls always appreciate the students and parents that attend their games, so come watch the rest of their season finish off- and don’t forget your mask!