Kingwood Mustang Volleyball – District Champs!

Photo caption: The girls hold up a #1 to celebrate their district championship. Photo taken by Head Coach Christie Mewis.

Sawyer Bryce, Volleyball Staff Writer

Kingwood Mustang Volleyball played its final district game of the season against Summer Creek High School on Friday November 13th. Leading into the game, Summer Creek and Kingwood were tied for first in the District, so the both schools were ripe with anticipation as this game would decide the district championship. Kingwood lost the first set with a final score of 25-23 giving Summer Creek the immediate advantage. The Lady Mustangs, however, recovered and won the next 3 succeeding sets with the following scores: 25-17, 25-21, 25-20, securing them the district championship title. The team totaled 45 kills; Sophie Ocampo, junior, contributed 10, and Kaitlyn Morgan, senior, contributed 9. Hannah Smith, sophomore, had above a 50% kill success. Katelyn Tillis, senior libero, led the team with 17 digs. Sydney Hicks, junior, had 26 of the 45 assists. With the win over Summer Creek, the Mustangs are once again district champs and now look forward to their playoff season. The first playoff game is Thursday November 19th and we wish them the best of luck. Congrats Kingwood Varsity Volleyball on your win!