Masyn Winn Drafted to Cardinals

Jerry Baker, Houston Chronicle / Contributor

Masyn Winn pitching against Clear Falls High School on May 10, 2019.

Emily Moore, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Kingwood alumnus Masyn Winn (Class of 2020) was a standout all throughout high school, and, after the abrupt termination of his senior season, Winn received some very positive news.  On Thursday, June 11, he was selected in the second round of the Major League Baseball Draft.

A versatile player, proficient as both a right handed pitcher and shortstop, Winn was sought after by just about every MLB organization. On the MLB.com Top 200 Draft Prospect Ranking, Winn placed at an impressive 54th, beating out hundreds of other high school and college players across the country. He was drafted as predicted by the list, 54th, to the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Cardinals give Winn a unique opportunity to try his hand as both a pitcher and shortstop. Professional teams don’t often allow players this type of flexibility. 

Despite his relatively small stature, Winn is a naturally athletic, well built player. Scouts observed Winn’s two-way talent, electric on the mound and quick in the field. In his time as a Mustang, Winn normally posted mid-90s fastballs and was known to be a smooth and powerful hitter. If Winn does end up pitching full time, he may still get to bat as St. Louis is a National League team. This could vary depending on where he lands in the organization. Though most games in the minor leagues employ designated hitters, pitchers of NL affiliates bat at the AA and AAA levels when playing other NL affiliates.  

Winn was committed to the University of Arkansas, and, like many high school stars, had to choose between college and professional baseball. He chose to go straight to the pros.

Winn heads to the Cardinals organization as a natural leader and good teammate, eager to take his talent to the next level.