KM4B Twitter

Around the KM4B Band: Percussion

A band is made up of many sections, with each bringing a special sound to the full ensemble. The Kingwood High School percussion section contributes a lot, not only to the ensemble, but to the school as a whole. 

The percussion section is an agent of hype when it comes to football games and pep rallies.  Pep rallies provide year round opportunities for the band to play in front of the school. Percussionist Mitchell VanCleave says that the section enjoys pep rallies because they, “get to play [their] favorite cadences in front of [their] biggest crowd.” Within the marching band, percussionists march on field with instruments such as bass drums and cymbals, but also play in the front ensemble on other instruments like xylophones. VanCleave marched with a snare drum this past season. His favorite part about marching season is when, after many hours of hard work, the band gets the satisfaction of, “repping the show without having to stop and reset.”

Though marching season has come to an end, the percussionists are still busy participating in other school events. We all see them energize pep rallies at our school, but they have also been visiting feeder elementary schools with the student council, Fillies, and cheerleaders. The pep rallies are similar to ours at the high school, and give elementary schoolers an insight as to what it’s like to be a Mustang!

Percussionists have also competed at UIL Solo and Ensemble, participated in symphony orchestra, and prepared for concerts and other UIL competitions in the past few months. Many of them medaled in solos and ensembles at the first round UIL competition, the band as a whole earning 228 grade one scores. VanCleave remarked that this year they have, “a lot of talented percussionists” working on the ensembles. At the end of the year, band students look forward to playing their solos and ensembles at the state competition. The symphony orchestra, made up of strings, winds, and percussion, earned straight ones at the UIL Region 33 Concert and Sight-Reading Contest. 

Currently, percussionists are working on music for concert bands to wrap up the year.

Mustang Monthly • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All Mustang Monthly Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *