Student World Affairs Council Trip – KHS Model UN

Julia Paraskevas, Assistant News Staff

On October 3rd, several members of Kingwood High School’s Model United Nations
club were given the opportunity to attend a special luncheon organized by the World Affairs
Council. These students were able to attend due to their Student World Affairs Council
membership, which they acquired through their participation in Model UN last year. The event
was held at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center, and students left
early from school that Thursday morning in order to attend the event. Upon arrival, students
from a wide variety of schools were welcomed into the building, in addition to a large number of
adult business professionals who also attended. The event featured guest speaker Robert S.
Kaplan, current CEO and president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, who spoke on
economic conditions and key challenges facing the U.S. economy. Over the course of his
speaking time, the crowd was given multiple opportunities to ask questions by writing them
down on pieces of paper, allowing both students and adults in attendance to learn from the
overall experience. KHS junior and Model UN President Alex Richmond took advantage of this
opportunity by asking Mr. Kaplan a question concerning the minimum wage in the United States,
allowing her to hear the thoughts and opinions on the issue from the CEO himself. In speaking
with Alex after the event, she cites the experience as “a great opportunity for the student body at
large to learn about world affairs.” During the luncheon, Kingwood students were also able to
talk and engage with other students and adults, providing a unique opportunity to meet and
interact with new people. Overall, the event was a major success, as Kingwood Model UN

students were provided with a unique opportunity to learn firsthand from a major CEO,
expanding their understanding of economics, politics, and business.