KHS’s Anisha Razo Makes the Top Ten for Humble ISD’s Teacher of the Year

April 16, 2020

Congratulations to Mrs. Razo for making the top ten for Humble ISD’s teacher of the year! Ms. Razo is an attentive, passionate, and intelligent leader who inspires creativity and diligence in her students every day. She is the Advanced and Practicum Audio/Video Production teacher, Junior Class Sponsor, National Technical Honor Society Sponsor, and has worked on her own original film projects outside of the classroom as well. As a sophomore taking her introductory A/V class I wasn’t sure what to expect. I had no friends in the class and no previous experience working with cameras or editing software but I knew that I loved movies and was intrigued by the idea of creating them. The further along the year went, the more we dived into the cinematic world and the deeper I fell in love with what we were creating. One of my favorite lessons, that stays with me to this day, was Foley, the art of making sound. We had 15 minutes to search the class for objects which we would use to record sounds with for a silent video sequence. My group, who throughout the year became some of my greatest friends, frantically searched the class for objects and then planned our recording. Making each sound at the perfect moment was an adrenaline-pumping task as we each shuffled back and forth from the microphone with our objects to the back wall to make way for our partners. This project was just one of the many ways Mrs. Razo connects with her students. She makes the classroom an exciting and creative place where even the most unmotivated students find a desire to create and learn. Her class was where I wrote my first short story, my first script, and where I discovered my passion for creative writing. With all that said,  I think I speak for all of KHS when I say how proud and fortunate we are to have a teacher like her. Thank you for all you do Ms. Razo and once again congratulations!

An Interview with Mrs. Razo:

How long have you been teaching? 

This year will mark 5 years teaching.

What is your favorite thing about being a teacher and what made you decide to pursue a field in education? 

My favorite thing about teaching is the students. I love inspiring and educating students at our school, seeing the light inside of them ignite with passion and joy is beautiful to witness and the best part is when they come back and just want to tell you everything you taught us helped me. I decided to pursue education after landing my first job out of college. I worked for an oil and gas company in their learning department and I was given amazing opportunities to grow and learn there and one of things I learned was how to teach virtual training to instructors at the company. After teaching a couple of my own classes, I fell in love with it and decided with the support of my husband and family to make the career change into education. That was the best decision of my life because I absolutely love what I do and I found my purpose.

What have been some of your favorite projects to work on with students?

Some of my favorite projects that my students and I get to work on together are the 10 Day Countdown Videos for Dr. Nasra, I really enjoyed seeing how my students flourished during the Shattered Dreams program, Annual Fund video series and the sports hype videos.

What responsibilities do class sponsors have and what’s your favorite part of being one?

The responsibility of a class sponsor is to help guide and support the class officers in leading their class in pep rallies, fundraisers, school spirit, community involvements and being a role model student. My favorite part about being a class sponsor is the students, their dedication to their class is amazing and they really enjoy and work hard on what they do.

What has working at Kingwood High School taught you? 

Working at Kingwood has taught me soo much, I have great mentors to look up to in the 5 years I have been here but I think the two top things it has taught me is teach with your strengths and never stop learning.

And finally, since you are the A/V teacher, what’s one of your favorite movies and why? 

I get this question all the time from my students and it is soo hard to answer because there are so many good movies but one of my favorite movies would be Boys and Girls. It’s my favorite because I love Freddie Prinze Jr. He is my all time favorite actor and I know you probably think you’re an AV teacher wouldn’t your favorite be like an Oscar winning film? I am just a huge sucker for 90s RomComs and especially those with Freddie Prinze Jr in them.